Nowadays, we all know the importance of following a healthy and balanced diet that incorporates all nutrients. However, sometimes we forget the importance of responsible shopping, i.e. including local and seasonal foods in our shopping baskets. To make the most of the change of season, we encourage you to discover these delicious healthy autumn recipes. What are you waiting for to start taking care of yourself by trying these delicious dishes?
Below, we will detail the fruits and vegetables that are in season this autumn and tasty proposals that you are sure to love!
Autumn fruits and vegetables
The World Health Organisation recommends the consumption of 5 pieces of fruit and vegetables daily. It is also advisable to consume responsibly by buying, as far as possible, seasonal fruit and vegetables. This way, food is at its optimum ripeness for consumption with maximum flavour.
These are some of the fruits of the autumn season:
- Avocado is a fashionable fruit that stands out for its vitamin and mineral content.
- Persimmon is a food rich in vitamin E, carotene and fibre.
- Pomegranate is a fruit with great antioxidant power.
- Custard apples are very rich in vitamins B and C.
- Kiwi, a fruit with a large dose of vitamin C.
- Apple, rich in antioxidants.
- Pear, noted for its fibre content.
- Grapes, the most characteristic fruit of autumn.
- Fig, a food rich in fibre, magnesium, potassium and calcium.
After getting to know the seasonal fruits, let’s take a look at the most typical autumn vegetables:
- Chard, provides a large number of vitamins and nutrients.
- Artichoke, with great digestive power.
- Aubergine, facilitates the elimination of toxins and triglycerides.
- Broccoli, is very rich in vitamin C, protein and fibre.
- Pumpkin, a vegetable with a high vitamin and mineral content.
- Cauliflower, is high in antioxidants and folic acid.
- Leek, a vegetable rich in water, fibre, iron and calcium.
- Sweet potato, a food with a high intake of vitamins, water and fibre.
4 healthy autumn recipes
Can’t think of any ideas for healthy eating this season? In this article, we show you how to prepare these tasty healthy autumn recipes:
1. Pumpkin cream
Is there a more typical autumn food than pumpkin? Of course not! And an excellent way to take advantage of all its benefits is with a delicious pumpkin cream, do you dare to prepare it? It’s very easy and simple!
- 500 grams of pumpkin
- 2 or 3 carrots
- 1 potato
- 1 leek
- 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 glasses of water
- In a pot, boil 1 litre of water with two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Peel all the vegetables. Dice the pumpkin cut the potato into chunks, carrot, and leek into slices.
- Add all the vegetables to the pot, add salt and cook for about 20-25 minutes or until very soft.
- Finally, mash all the vegetables to the desired consistency.
- And that’s it! Enjoy a delicious cream full of vitamins and nutrients!
2. Aubergine lasagne
Do you love lasagne but want to start taking care of your health? Try an aubergine lasagne! Yes, yes, just replace the pasta sheets with sliced aubergines… A delicious dish that will please the whole family!
- 2 or 3 large aubergines.
- 800 grams of crushed tomato.
- 200 grams of mozzarella cheese
- 150 grams of Parmesan cheese
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Start by preparing the sauce. Add a little EVOO to the frying pan and add the crushed tomato and a little sugar.
- Add salt, black pepper and the basil leaves. Cook the tomato sauce until reduced.
- Slice the aubergines not too thinly but not too thickly. Add salt so that they start to sweat and lose some water and bitterness (if they have any).
- Then wash the aubergines and pat dry with paper towels.
- Then, heat a frying pan with oil and fry the aubergines on both sides until golden brown.
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC (the temperature may vary from oven to oven).
- Grease the baking tray with olive oil and spread a base of the sauce. Now place a layer of aubergines, making sure there are no gaps.
- Then alternate the aubergine layer with the tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. You can add a few slices of cooked ham or turkey breast in between if you like.
- Finally, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 220º.
- Show off your plate!
3. Mushroom scrambled eggs
Another typical autumn food is mushrooms, and what better way to make the most of them than in a stir-fry? Take note!
- 3 eggs
- 1 clove of garlic
- Pour a little EVOO into the frying pan and when it is hot, add the finely chopped garlic clove.
- Wash the mushrooms and dry them. Then chop them and add them to the pan with the garlic—Fry over low-medium heat for a few minutes.
- Beat the three eggs with the salt and add them to the frying pan until set.
- Sprinkle a little parsley on top and serve on the plate.
- A healthy and delicious autumn recipe!
3. Artichokes with ham
Artichokes with ham never fail to be a very healthy and delicious recipe. Do you dare to prepare this delightful dish? Let’s go for it!
- 15 artichokes (serves 4)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 225 grams of diced ham
- Wash and clean the artichokes, removing the tops and outer leaves. Pour the lemon juice over the artichokes to prevent them from becoming unpalatable.
- In a pot, cook the artichokes with water, salt and parsley.
- After draining, cut the artichokes in half.
- Sauté the ham in a bit of oil until golden brown. Then add a tablespoon of oil and a glass of water.
- Stirring for two minutes, add the artichokes, and fry everything together.
- A tasty and healthy dinner!
In addition to all the benefits of seasonal fruit and vegetables, another reason to add them to your shopping basket is that they are much cheaper. What’s more, you’ll get dishes with a lot more colour and flavour. Are you up for trying these healthy autumn recipes? You’ll love them!