Have you heard of the keto diet? The ketogenic diet (or keto diet) is an eating plan that is characterised by being low in carbohydrates and high in fat.
The keto diet aims to generate ketosis in the body, which forces sugar-deprived cells to consume ketone bodies.
If you want to know what these concepts mean, which foods are allowed on the keto diet and which should be avoided, read on. In this article we tell you all about it.
The keto diet is an eating plan low in carbohydrates and rich in healthy fats. That is, lipids become the main source of energy. It lowers blood sugar and insulin levels, and there is a transition in the body’s metabolism where carbohydrates are replaced by fats and ketones.
By following this diet, the ketone bodies that are produced help to eliminate body fat more easily and, as a result, weight is lost. On the other hand, when the body follows this diet, it is more likely to gain muscle mass. For these reasons, this diet is even followed by many sportsmen and women.
However, just because lipid intake is favoured does not mean that anything goes. In the keto diet, the foods allowed that are rich in fats must be healthy. That is, healthy fats such as those found in olive oil, flax, nuts and eggs.
If you are interested in following this diet, you should know that the maximum daily carbohydrate limit is 20-50 g and that the approximate ratio of nutrients is as follows:
- 60-75% fat.
- 25-30% protein
- 5-10% of carbohydrates.
If you are interested in following the keto diet, we make it easy for you with this list of allowed foods. As mentioned above, healthy fats predominate and food groups such as grains are restricted. This does not mean that carbohydrate intake is avoided, it is simply restricted and preferred to be sourced from fruit and vegetables.
This is the list of foods allowed on the keto diet:
- Fish and seafood: such as salmon, tuna, bonito, mackerel, sardines, swordfish, eel…
- Meat: chicken, turkey, beef, pork…
- Vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, chard, endive, spinach, lettuce, courgette, cucumber, tomato, avocado, etc.
- Fruits: strawberries, blueberries, lemons, lime, blackberries…
- Nuts: walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, pine nuts…
- Dairy products: natural yoghurt, cheeses – blue cheese, mozzarella, gouda… -, kefir, milk, butter.
- Natural fats, such as olive oil.
- Sweets: unsweetened chocolate with high cocoa content, pure cocoa…
- Drinks: water, red tea, green tea, unsweetened coffee.
The best preparations to enjoy the keto diet and its permitted foods are those that safeguard the most nutritional properties of the food.
- Choose recipes with raw fruit and vegetables such as salads. You can enrich them with nuts, cheese cubes or hard-boiled eggs.
- Cook proteins on a griddle or in a steamer. They can also be baked in the oven with cheese or nuts. Be careful with sauces, it is preferable to use pure mustard, homemade mayonnaise or spices.
- Eggs are a great source of inspiration for the keto diet, they fit into any meal of the day and can even be an ideal substitute for bread for those who miss it. We’re talking about cloud bread.
You need three eggs, 100 g cream cheese and a pinch of baking soda. The preparation is simple. While preheating the oven to 150 degrees, separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. On one side, whip the egg whites with the baking soda; on the other side, whip the yolks with the cheese until creamy.
Mix the two preparations together with a gentle stirring motion, place portions in a greased baking dish and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. You will get soft rolls that you can fill with whatever you like.
This recipe is very simple and allows for many variations. To make it, you need chicken thighs, garlic, olive oil, salt, lemon juice and spices to taste. Prepare the marinade by grinding all the ingredients except the chicken. Then coat the thighs well and refrigerate them for at least two hours (you can also leave them overnight in the fridge).
Bake for one hour or until golden brown to your liking. You can add half a glass of white wine halfway through baking, but it is not essential. Serve with a mixed salad.
This recipe is delicious and allows for many variations with other fish, although salmon is always a great idea due to its high content of omega-3 acids. In the keto diet, the foods allowed with this type of acids are always a plus. Accompany the lounge with your favourite nuts and dried fruit. Walnuts, almonds and pistachios are great.
Crush the nuts into small but not powdery grains. Crust the salmon fillet with them. If you want them to stick together, brush the fish with a little olive oil. You can grill it like this for 10 minutes or until the salmon is done, or with a bed of sliced courgette as a garnish.
The ketogenic diet is not suitable for everyone, as it is quite restrictive. Moreover, ketosis is a state in which we force the body to act in an exceptional situation by forcing it to convert fat reserves into energy. The state of ketosis can cause bad breath, headaches, nausea, dizziness, etc. until the body gets used to it. For this reason, it is not recommended for people suffering from metabolic diseases or diabetes.
Nor is it recommended to follow it for a long period of time. In any case, if you decide to follow a diet, it is not a bad idea to supplement it with supplements that guarantee the acquisition of essential nutrients for the proper functioning of the body. We recommend you:
- Orgono Articomplex, a multivitamin that helps to improve tiredness and fatigue, which we have already seen can occur during the keto diet.
- G7 Defender, which includes 17 natural active ingredients related to defence. It also boosts energy and vitality.
If you are interested in following this dietary plan, remember that, in addition to knowing about the keto diet, permitted foods and possible recipes, you need to consult your doctor about the best way to restrict carbohydrates. To compensate for the forbidden foods, do not rule out the possibility of supplementing the diet to ensure your body gets the vitamins and minerals it needs.