Looking for home remedies for toenail fungus? Fungal nail infections are usually caused by fungi called dermatophytes that infect the skin underneath. Yeasts are another common culprit.
Symptoms of toenail fungus may develop slowly over time and go unnoticed at first. Some of the most common are:
– White spots on the nails.
– Distorted nail shape.
– Yellowish discolouration on the top of the nail.
– Thickening of nails.
– Separation of the nail in the nail bed.
– Pain in the tips of the toes.
– Darkening, dullness or opacity of the nails.
– Brittle or brittle nails.
– Bad smell.
Why do toenails get fungus?
Toenails are more vulnerable to infection when bare feet come into contact with wet surfaces (e.g. if a public shower is used without proper footwear). The same is true if you suffer from athlete’s foot, an infection that can spread to the nails.
Wearing closed shoes, such as athletic shoes, for prolonged periods of time can also contribute to infection if your shoes and/or socks are damp from perspiration or heat. In addition, if your shoes are tight enough to put pressure on your toes, they can damage the nail bed, making it more susceptible to infection.
People with chronic diseases, such as diabetes or circulatory problems, may also be more prone to toenail infections.
As can be understood, most of the reasons behind the appearance of foot fungus are related to a weak immune system; something that must be taken into account when looking for effective solutions.
Home remedies to get rid of toenail fungus fast
Early stage toenail fungus can respond to home treatments. Their effectiveness will depend on how consistently the treatment is applied to the affected nail, and it is recommended that it is carried out several times a day.
It should be noted that home remedies for toenail fungus, while effective, may need to be applied for six months or more to clear the infection.
Here are two of the ones that guarantee the best results:
– Tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil: both have antifungal properties, and scientific studies have found that they work as well as some prescription and over-the-counter topical antifungal treatments.
– Ozonated sunflower oil: A study conducted in Brazil showed that sunflower oil worked to treat fungal toenail infections caused by yeast.
Is it true that you can cure nail fungus with vinegar and baking soda?
Vinegar is also a popular home remedy for toenail fungus, but it has not been shown to be effective in clinical studies, so there is no scientific evidence to support its suitability for treating this condition.
This is not the case with sodium bicarbonate. Recent studies show that its application prevented fungal growth in 79 % of the samples tested.
To try this remedy, simply apply a paste of baking soda and water directly to the affected nail and let it sit for at least 10 minutes before rinsing.
Prevention, the best ally in your fight against nail fungus
Anyone can get toenail fungus, although there are some population groups at higher risk, such as:
– Elderly people.
– Psoriasis and hyperhidrosis patients.
– Those who have or have had athlete’s foot (tinea pedis).
– Persons with a wound on the nail at the time of infection.
– Those with blood circulation problems.
– Anyone with a weakened immune system.
According to data from the Cleveland Clinic, “onychomycosis affects 1 in 10 people in general; a figure that rises to 5 in 10 over the age of 70”.
There is no single way to prevent foot fungus, but different recommendations can be applied:
– Avoid moisture in this area: dry feet and interdigital spaces thoroughly after showering and avoid walking barefoot in public areas.
– Maintain proper foot hygiene. This means trimming your nails to prevent them from digging in and causing wounds, but also cleaning your scissors or nail clippers after each use.
– Apply extra preventive measures if sharing a shower with someone suffering from this infection.
– Use extreme caution if you suffer from diabetes.
– Choose the right footwear, so that it fits the shape of the foot without constricting it.
Now that you know some home remedies for toenail fungus, the causes of toenail fungus and the population groups at risk, it is in your best interest to pay attention to your immune system to prevent it.
Strengthening it requires nutrients and vitamins; but the ones the body needs are only obtained from the diet, which sometimes does not provide the necessary levels. For this reason, supplements such as G7 Beauty, which cares for your skin, hair and nails thanks to its high silica content and its composition based on natural ingredients, are recommended.
There are no comments yet
Leave a comment