Dryness, dandruff, frizz or discolouration are some of the most common hair problems. Fortunately, they can be solved if you know how to prepare a homemade mask for dry and frizzy hair. Make a good selection of natural ingredients to help you formulate your moisturising recipe to maintain your hair.
The change of season, the temperature itself and the use of external agents, such as heat styling tools, are just some of the culprits that worsen the health and appearance of your hair.
Realising this is the first step to reversing their effects. Next, find everyday ingredients that you can turn into a homemade hair mask that will allow you to enjoy a spa day in your own home.
Why your hair needs a hair mask. Causes of dry, frizzy hair
Hair becomes frizzy due to many different factors, so it’s a good idea to analyse what causes it to dry out and exacerbate frizz in each case:
- Washing hair too often. Washing it daily strips it of its natural protective barrier, which it needs to stay healthy. There is no real need to wash your hair more than two or three times a week if you want to preserve its natural balance.
- Exposure to humidity. You may already know that the outer layer of the hair fibre, if dry, becomes rough and opens up. As a result, a humid environment frizzes overly dry hair because the outer layer begins to absorb moisture from the air and swells, making the problem even more visible.
- Washing your hair with boiling water can cause the same effect as humidity because it stresses the hair and scalp. This is because high-temperature water causes it to dehydrate and causes the hair to lose its natural oils. It is recommended to wash your hair with lukewarm water.
- Use of chemical or harsh hair products. They strip the hair of its natural oils, which soften it. It is advisable to avoid colourants, products containing sulphates and those containing alcohols. It is also essential to prevent excessive hair colour lightening and avoid colouring the hair with overly strong formulas, such as those with a high ammonia content.
- Combine your hair with heat styling tools. Hot styling tools permanently damage hair. If you have no choice but to use them, use conditioners or oils to help minimise their effects before and after use.
- Towel dry hair. The friction created by nylon bristle brushes and rough towel drying can also affect the cuticle and cause frizz.
Hair masks are quick yet highly potent and effective ways to reverse these drawbacks and provide hair health benefits in minutes.
Opting for natural ingredients is the best decision. You don’t need to use more than a small selection to formulate a homemade mask for dry, frizzy hair that improves hair health by nourishing, protecting and moisturising.
How to make a homemade mask for dry and frizzy hair: 3 options, step-by-step
Whether your hair is damaged, frizzy or dry, there is a homemade hair mask to fix it. The natural ingredients that can be included to make it depend on your taste, but among the most effective are the following:
- Avocados, for their nourishing power.
- Strawberries, to add shine.
- Lemon, to prevent split ends.
- Honey, for extra softness.
- Coconut oil, for its repairing effect.
- Coconut milk has a revitalising power.
- Brown sugar is an exfoliant that stimulates regeneration.
- Banana, which gives strength to the hair.
- Natural yoghurt is one of the best moisturisers.
- Eggs to balance oil production and stop hair loss.
- Cinnamon is an excellent hair cleanser.
- Olive oil prevents split ends.
Hair care: goals achieved by natural hair masks
Different formulas can help moisturise, strengthen and add shine to the hair. Among the most effective ones that can be applied using only natural ingredients are the following:
- Hair mask with apple cider vinegar.
- Hair mask with avocado oil and mayonnaise.
- Hair mask with mango butter and olive oil.
- Avocado and egg white hair mask.
- Coconut oil hair mask.
- Natural milk and honey hair mask.
- Black tea hair mask.
- Banana and coconut oil hair mask.
- Yoghurt hair mask.
- Hair mask with brown sugar and jojoba oil.
It is essential to test on a small head area before completely covering the room with the chosen hair mask. In addition, it is best to limit the application of this treatment to once a week to avoid over-drying or over-moisturising the hair.
From time to time, the treatment for dryness and frizz can be combined with an almond oil and cinnamon hair mask to accelerate hair growth.
3 examples of homemade hair mask formulas for dry and frizzy hair
Coconut oil hair mask
- Make a bowl with your hand and fill it with coconut oil. After warming it up, without heating it.
- Apply to the hair. It doesn’t matter if it is wet or dry.
- Spread in the direction of the scalp.
- Comb through hair and let the mask sit for half an hour before rinsing and washing.
Benefits: strengthened and more flexible hair.
Avocado and egg white hair mask
Ingredients: 1 ripe avocado and 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix the avocado pulp with a fork and a teaspoon of olive oil and apply it to the hair.
- Leave for a maximum of half an hour, rinse and wash.
Benefits: shinier hair that is less prone to breakage. A strengthened hair shaft minimises the chance of split ends.
Yoghurt and macadamia nut oil hair mask
- Mix one cup of plain yoghurt with two tablespoons of macadamia nut or almond oil.
- Coat the hair with the mask, massaging in the direction of the roots.
- Leave for a quarter of an hour, rinse, and wash your hair.
Benefits: healthier hair, with its moisture level restored along the entire length of the hair shaft. Visible reduction of frizz.
What results can be achieved with a hair mask?
The results achieved by applying a homemade hair mask for dry and frizzy hair include the following:
○ Less breakage
○ Healthier hair
These results are improved if applied consistently and weekly. It’s also a good idea to combine the natural ingredients in your chosen formula with silica. This element prevents hair loss, strengthens, adds shine and accelerates growth) to boost its benefits.
Are you ready to design your hair care routine at home? Have you already chosen a homemade hair mask for dry and frizzy hair? Remember that results will visibly improve if you add supplements to your diet to maintain the health and beauty of your skin, nails and hair, such as G7 Beauty.