The corners of the lips are one of the areas of the face that can show signs of ageing most clearly. This is because it is a highly mobile area that is constantly exposed to sun, muscle tension and facial activity, making it more prone to developing fine lines and wrinkles over time.
Have you noticed changes in skin texture and appearance in this area lately? Let’s see how to solve a problem that’s already visible, before it gets worse.
Signs of age: the corners of the lips
Expression lines at the corners of the lips usually begin to appear from the age of 30, although this can vary from person to person. The early appearance of these lines can be influenced by genetic factors, as well as lifestyle, sun exposure and other environmental factors.
The causes of loss of skin quality in this area are diverse. One of the main causes is a decrease in the production of collagen and elastin, which makes it more prone to wrinkles.
Risk factors that worsen your condition
Expression lines at the corners of the lips, also known as smile lines or marionette lines, can be worsened by a number of risk factors. Some of them are:
- Age. With ageing, the skin loses elasticity and firmness, which can make expression lines at the corners of the lips more pronounced. Add to the fact of getting older the accumulation of repeated facial expressions, those made when speaking or gesticulating, which end up leaving their mark on our face.
- Sun exposure. Prolonged and unprotected sun exposure can damage the skin and accelerate the ageing process, contributing to the worsening of fine lines at the corners of the lips. The reason is that UV rays break down collagen and elastin (structural components of the skin) causing it to lose firmness and elasticity.
- Smoking. Smoking is one of the main risk factors for premature skin ageing and can contribute to the appearance of more pronounced wrinkles. Smoking causes tissue damage and decreases blood flow, leading to the appearance of fine lines. Smoking also produces free radicals, which damage collagen and elastin, making the skin less firm.
- Dehydration. Dehydrated skin is more prone to the appearance of expression lines, so it is important to stay hydrated by drinking enough water and using specific products for the skin, always of natural origin.
- Stress. Chronic stress can affect skin health and lead to the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Sport and activities such as yoga or meditation are very effective in reducing the cortisol levels that accumulated stress causes.
- Unhealthy diet. A diet poor in essential nutrients can affect skin health. Sometimes, even if the diet is balanced, the problem is the lack of quality of the source of the nutrients or the processing of the food, which causes it to lose its properties.
How to get rid of wrinkles at the corners of the lips
Wrinkles at the corners of the lips are a natural consequence of the ageing process, but there are some natural remedies that can help minimise their appearance. Do you want to know which are the most effective?
Natural remedies to minimise them
- Water and tea. Keeping the skin hydrated is essential to prevent and reduce the appearance of wrinkles in the corners of the lips. Drink plenty of water and herbal teas and use moisturising creams on the affected area.
- Coconut oil. Coconut oil is an excellent natural moisturiser and contains antioxidants that can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Apply a small amount to the corners of your lips before bedtime and allow it to absorb overnight.
- Cucumber. Cucumber is an excellent natural remedy for reducing wrinkles at the corners of the lips. Place cucumber slices on the affected area for 10-15 minutes a day.
- Honey. Honey is a natural moisturiser, very effective at hydrating the skin. Mix a tablespoon of honey with a tablespoon of olive oil and apply the mixture to the corners of the lips for 10-15 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- Antioxidant-rich foods. Berries and berries can help prevent cell damage and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
It is important to note that these natural remedies can help minimise the appearance of wrinkles at the corners of the lips, but cannot completely eliminate them. In addition, it is important to take care of the skin and minimise its exposure to UV rays by applying sunscreen.
Ways to prevent and delay its occurrence
The formation of fine lines at the corners of the lips is part of the natural ageing process, but there are ways to prevent and delay their appearance:
- Avoid smoking. Smoking is one of the main causes of the early appearance of expression lines at the corners of the lips. Smoking decreases blood circulation and collagen production, which increases the formation of wrinkles.
- Sun protection. Unprotected sun exposure is another major cause of the early appearance of fine lines at the corners of the lips. Use sunscreen with an appropriate sun protection factor to protect your skin from UV damage.
- Moisturising. Keeping your skin hydrated is essential to prevent the appearance of fine lines. Drink enough water, even before you feel thirsty because, at that moment, your body gives you the confirmation that it has already started to dehydrate.
- Hygiene. Facial cleansing before going to bed removes the remains of dirt that may have been deposited throughout the day on the facial skin. Pollution or contact with the hands leaves residues that, if not removed, can cause a loss of skin quality and lead to problems that worsen the image of the area around the corners of the lips.
- Healthy diet. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help prevent the appearance of fine lines. They contain antioxidants that are very effective in protecting the skin from cell damage.
- Avoid stress. Stress accelerates the ageing process and makes us lose our health, inside and out. To prevent it from becoming a part of your life, find a moment for yourself every day, take care of yourself, be aware of your decisions and their impact on your health and practice sport.
Strategies for naturally younger, wrinkle-free skin
Once you are aware of the impact of certain habits and the importance of using natural products, you only need to make the effort to be consistent in certain routines (such as hydration or hygiene) and to dispense with certain habits (such as lack of sun protection or smoking).
To multiply the positive impact of the change of direction towards a healthier lifestyle you are heading towards, it is in your interest to incorporate supplements into your diet that cover dietary deficiencies and also benefit the health and appearance of skin, nails and hair. Have you already tried Silicium G7Beatuy?