Rosehip oil is an essential oil produced from the pressed fruit of the rosehip plant (Rosa canina L.), used in the pharmaceutical, cosmetic and food industries. Its natural compounds have shown promise in the treatment of scars and skin disorders.
Rosehip oil for scars is packed with vitamins and essential fatty acids that nourish the skin. Read on to find out how these properties help to treat acne and remove scars, how to use this oil in your routine and also discover other highly effective ingredients such as silicon that can help you!
The main use of rosehip oil is to remove or reduce scars and blemishes, as well as to help in the treatment of acne.
It is also an excellent emollient that keeps the skin moisturised and healthy.
- Protects the skin: The vitamin C in rosehip oil acts as an antioxidant capable of protecting cells against damage and disease. Rosehip helps repair skin after sun damage and can even reverse the signs of ageing caused by too much sun.
In addition, thanks to its carotenoids, it helps to keep the skin fresh and healthy by creating new skin cells. Due to its vitamin F content, it traps and retains moisture in the skin, protecting it from damage.
- Relieves and improves the appearance of acne: Rosehip oil or cream helps treat acne caused by clogged pores. Rosehip contains transretinoic acid, a retinoid that helps the body regulate the production of new skin cells. When new cells are produced more frequently, the likelihood of clogged pores decreases. The retinoids in rosehip oil can help brighten the skin, prevent blackheads and reduce inflammation.
- Treats eczema: Rosehip oil can help treat eczema, an inflammation of the skin that can cause itching and redness. Rosehip oil contains phenols, chemicals with antibacterial properties that help fight this type of skin condition. Rosehip oil or cream can also treat eczema by repairing the skin barrier and moisturising the skin.
- Improves the appearance of scars and helps reduce their appearance: following an analysis of studies published in PubMed and MEDLINE, researchers found scientific evidence that rosehip oil improves scars.
A study that treated people with rosehip oil after skin surgery found that the treatment helped reduce discolouration of scars and diminished their appearance.
- Prevents stretch marks: Rosehip oil can prevent stretch marks, showing best results when combined with vitamin E and other moisturising oils, for example in pregnant women.
- Natural source of vitamin C: a powerful antioxidant that can help with a number of functions, from irregular pigmentation to collagen production.
Not only can vitamin C help reduce acne-related inflammation, but this powerful ingredient stimulates the production of collagen and elastin to stimulate skin cell regeneration. This can help minimise the appearance of acne scars and other areas of hyperpigmentation.
- Contains a high amount of linoleic acid – an omega-6 fatty acid. Research suggests that acne-prone people have lower levels of linoleic acid, which disrupts the skin’s natural sebum production.
The result is thick, sticky sebum that can clog pores and cause acne. Increasing linoleic acid levels helps regulate sebum production and minimise breakouts.
- Vitamin A: another key ingredient in rosehip oil, can amplify these benefits. Vitamin A minimises the amount of sebum produced by the skin.
Rosehip oil for scars is generally very safe and has very few side effects. Topical rosehip oil is considered safe for most users and there are no known guidelines for differences in skin type.
However, allergic reactions, such as skin irritation or rashes, may occasionally occur. If you have sensitive skin, you may be at increased risk of a reaction. You can determine your individual risk of reaction by performing a patch test before use.
Rosehip can be applied to a scar when you want to improve its appearance and reduce its visibility.
Can be applied to slightly damp skin to retain moisture. For scars, hyperpigmentation, damaged skin and blemishes, we recommend applying morning and night for at least six weeks after the skin has healed.
Yes, a study shows that its application leads to faster healing and lower rates of erythema.
Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to avoid facial oils just because you have oily skin. Many oils, such as rosehip oil, act as astringents, drying out natural oils and minimising the appearance of pores.
The best oil for scars is rosehip oil combined with organic silicon. Thanks to the unique synergy offered by both ingredients you will get the best results, improving the appearance of your scars, the elasticity and hydration of your skin, giving you a healthy and more homogeneous skin.
There is no clear consensus on whether it is better to use rosehip alone or together with other ingredients, as in the case of Silicium Rosehip cream, a fluid lotion formulated with organic silicon and rosehip oil from Chile for facial care.
Some people report very good results using a pure rosehip essential oil, but many others say it has worked better in combination with other specific ingredients that help improve the skin’s condition, such as silicon, a great ally for your skin.
Do you have rosehip oil at home? This may be the best option for you
Another highly recommended alternative if you already have a bottle of rosehip essential oil at home is to use it combined with the Silicium Serum + Essential Elixir duo, a firming solution formulated with organic silicon, extracts and natural oils with a lifting effect.
If you want to improve or ‘disguise’ the appearance of a scar, apply a few drops of rosehip essential oil directly to the area to be treated and massage well in circles until the product penetrates the skin. Do this twice a day, once at night before going to sleep, which is when our body and skin have a greater capacity for regeneration.
Rosehip oil is available in both topical and supplemental forms, although the former is the most commonly used.
Use it in oil or cream form to see how it suits your skin. Apply a generous amount daily, 1-2 times a day, massaging in a circular motion to facilitate absorption. If you don’t see improvement in 6-8 weeks, or you want to optimise and accelerate results, we recommend combining it with a supplement such as G7 Beauty, a food supplement containing organic silicon, vitamin E and selenium, a unique formula that helps maintain the beauty of your skin, hair and nails.
Together with rosehip, organic silicon brings excellent benefits to the tissues, making it a very interesting ingredient in any beauty routine.
- Stimulates collagen production: key to combating sagging skin.
- Increases elastin production: giving elasticity to skin tissues.
- Improves sunburn.
- Protects the skin from free radicals and cell oxidation.
- Improves the appearance of wrinkles: thanks to its ability to moisturise the skin.
Rosehip and silica, a winning combination
Rosehip for scars is a “hero” ingredient. In particular, the rose originating from the Andes of southern Chile, combined with silicon to enhance its benefits.
This 100% natural beauty oil effectively helps to diminish wrinkles and fine lines, conceal and improve the appearance of scars, blemishes and acne marks, keep skin hydrated and smooth, as well as defend it from the sun and external agents, and even help prevent the premature appearance of visible signs of ageing.