Cosmetics have been with us since the Egyptian civilization. Since then, it has been evolving until the beginning of the 20th century, when it boomed thanks to the chemical industry. The use of synthetic ingredients revolutionized the market. However, the discovered toxic effects have given new impetus to natural cosmetic products. And they are back to stay, as they are effective, much safer, and their production is less aggressive with the environment.
We know that you treat the health of your skin with the importance it deserves. That’s why we want to help you take the next step in skincare, so don’t miss what we will tell you today!
What are natural cosmetic products?
A natural cosmetic product is any product that is composed of ingredients extracted mainly from plants. In other words, natural raw materials are much more similar to the composition of our skin than those used in traditional cosmetics.
But beware! Do not be fooled. Some products are labelled “natural cosmetics” even though they contain a low percentage of these ingredients and are mostly formulated with chemical substances. We advise you to look closely at the labels to discard them and choose those composed mainly of natural ingredients.
Why choose natural cosmetic products over conventional ones?
Conventional cosmetics use synthetic compounds that are not correctly recognized by the skin. That’s not very good! They are often rejected, and allergies and irritations are common. Some even clog pores and prevent sweat. In the worst case, they can be carcinogenic, as some of them act as endocrine disruptors. This was stated in 2013 in a report by the World Health Organization.
The root of the problem lies in this type of cosmetics philosophy. It seeks to beautify the skin “at any price”, using toxins such as parabens, petroleum derivatives, phthalates, formaldehyde, silicones, etc. Many of them have ended up being banned by the regulation issued by the European Parliament and the Council in 2009.
Natural cosmetic products oppose entirely this approach and offer more than just a patch:
- They effectively nourish, improve and maintain the dermal balance.
- They contain harmless ingredients suitable for virtually all skin types and are highly recommended for the most sensitive skin.
- With few exceptions, they are free of side effects.
- Their production is more environmentally friendly.
- Their components are 100% biodegradable, so they do not pollute or harm health.
- They are not tested on animals.
What ingredients are used in natural cosmetics?
Take a second to think about all the cosmetics you apply daily. It may not seem like it, but quite a few, aren’t there? We use them more often than we think. Therefore, it is essential to use those that carry natural ingredients that are harmless to our skin: essential oils, vegetable waxes and extracts, vegetable oils, etc. They all contain vitamins, polyphenols or phytosterols that provide multiple benefits.
Some of the most characteristics are:
- Cocoa butter. It moisturizes, softens, protects the skin and helps reduce wrinkles and stretch marks.
- Beeswax. Moisturizes and nourishes in-depth, even in the driest skins. It also prevents skin ageing and has anti-inflammatory and emollient properties.
- Organic silica. Stimulates collagen and elastin synthesis, providing shine, firmness, and elasticity to the skin, hair, and nails. It also protects bones and joints.
- Wheat germ oil. It is very rich in vitamins, being a powerful antioxidant. It also heals damaged skin and soothes sunburn.
- Lavender and orange essential oils. This combination is anti-inflammatory, reduces sebaceous secretion and improves insect bites.
- Rosehip oil. Noted for its ability to moisturize, nourish, and improve the skin’s overall appearance, reducing blemishes, wrinkles, stretch marks, and acne.
- A treasure that moisturizes, nourishes, reaffirms, regenerates and delays skin ageing. Damask rose essential oil. It also has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.
- Apricot kernel essential oil. Firms and illuminates the skin. It also moisturizes, softens and helps to regenerate the skin.
- Palmarosa essential oil. It has moisturizing and regenerating power and also has an antimicrobial effect.
In Silicium, we have a significant commitment to offering natural cosmetic products that are effective and free of artificial toxins. We recommend you try G7 Beauty, Silicium Serum + Essential Elixir or our spectacular rosehip cream. They contain many of the ingredients we have just mentioned, so they are ideal for nourishing and giving your skin all the benefits of this type of cosmetics.
Nature is wise, so start taking care of yourself as it has always been done!