Diet, habits, stress, anxiety, hydration, correct facial hygiene, the habit of removing make-up before going to bed… All these factors can influence the appearance of vertical wrinkles on the forehead.
These expression lines that appear between the eyebrows, just above the nose, are the result of the crease that forms in the skin when the muscles in the area are activated by facial expressions.
These furrows will start to show sooner or later, depending on the shape of the face, genetics, composition, and tension of the skin, or habits when gesturing with the face when speaking.
Why do vertical forehead wrinkles appear?
As we age, the skin loses density and smoothness, partly due to the action of free radicals, and partly due to the progressive lack of definition of the collagen bonds that form the structure of the face. This state causes its sensitivity to various factors to increase.
As with the other expression lines that appear on the face, vertical wrinkles on the forehead are a consequence of the emotions we experience. And, although they are usually associated with a gesture of anger or worry, they also form when we laugh or are surprised. When the skin is young, it quickly recovers after movement, something that does not happen as it matures.
Habits and diet can also influence the result. And, in fact, many of our choices, if they are wrong, end up bringing forward the appearance of these wrinkles.
When do vertical forehead wrinkles start to appear?
It is not possible to say that there is a certain age or range in which vertical forehead wrinkles appear. It all depends a lot on the skin of each person, their genetics, how they take care of themselves, and their habits:
- For example, oily skin has an advantage: it prevents wrinkles better than dry skin because the natural oils it produces keep the skin more hydrated and smoother.
- Skin that is exposed to the sun for long hours without adequate protection will also show signs of aging earlier.
- Vertical wrinkles on the forehead and the rest of the face are visible much earlier in smokers.
- People who do not follow a consistent facial hygiene routine or who do not moisturize the skin sufficiently will notice that expression lines become more and more pronounced, turning into wrinkles.
- The same is true for those who do not take care of their diet and whose diet lacks vegetables and fruit and has too much alcohol, sugars, and processed foods.
Stress, spending too much time in front of a screen, having vision problems, or living in an environment where the level of pollution is high are some more factors to add to the list of variables that increase the likelihood of these wrinkles appearing prematurely.
How to prevent and treat vertical forehead wrinkles and make them less noticeable
The appearance of these lines can be improved with good skin care, including strict sun protection. Retinoids and peptides contained in some foods improve this condition. The same is true of antioxidants, such as those provided by vitamin C. Their effect is protective and restorative:
- They protect it from further damage by the formation of free radicals.
- Improves hyperpigmentation.
- Prevents the appearance of new expression lines.
Consistency is most effective. Designing and implementing an anti-aging skincare routine offers visible results in the short term with the advantage that the benefits persist over the long term.
Prevention: the best ally
In general, and taking into account the differences between skin types and genetic characteristics, dermatologists recommend starting the preventive anti-aging journey sometime before the age of 30. Examples of best practices to adopt are:
- Wear sunglasses outdoors: they are the best way to avoid frowning, one of the main causes of vertical forehead wrinkles.
- Minimise sun exposure: which plays an important role in the youthful appearance of the skin. The more sun you get, the drier, less even-toned, and less smooth your skin will be.
- Reduce stress: Stress negatively affects the whole body, especially the skin. Chronic stress can raise cortisol levels, which causes inflammation and, in turn, damages collagen
- Stop smoking: Cigarette smoking inhibits the body’s natural repair process, which hinders the production of collagen and elastin. This effect worsens the condition of the skin, which is more prone to wrinkles.
How to treat vertical forehead wrinkles with natural products
Including certain foods and nutrients in your diet helps to minimize the appearance of fine lines. Among the most recommended are:
- Vitamin C: is found in citrus fruits, green leafy vegetables, red peppers, tomatoes, and strawberries, among others. It serves to increase collagen production, fight free radical damage, protect the skin from UVA and UVB rays, depigment dark spots and brighten the complexion. The result: lines become less noticeable and overall skin looks smoother and softer.
- Water: when skin is dehydrated, wrinkles are exaggerated and appear deeper than they are. On the other hand, when your skin is well hydrated, it looks plumped up, so wrinkles look less obvious.
- Food: eat more antioxidant foods, such as silica, an essential trace element with the ability to generate collagen naturally and keep the skin radiant and healthy, which can also be taken in the form of supplements or the diet. Include carrots, for example, which promote the formation of collagen thanks to vitamin A; highly moisturizing cucumber; or avocado, which facilitates the metabolism of collagen thanks to its vitamin C content.
- Massage and facial exercises: these wrinkles are related to the facial muscles, so reducing tension in the area improves their appearance and minimizes the depth of the furrow.
In addition to all these solutions, the use of supplements and creams is recommended. These should be applied in small circles in an upward direction to the forehead and the sides, exerting gentle pressure, but not too much pressure.
Apart from choosing products with natural ingredients, it is a good idea to pay attention to the additional properties of some of them.
Silica, due to its hyaluronic acid and collagen content, not only minimizes vertical wrinkles on the forehead but also visibly improves the condition of hair and nails. To start enjoying its benefits, you can include in your beauty and care routines this silica serum or this rosehip cream which, in addition to improving the appearance of the skin by providing luminosity, eliminates signs of fatigue and increases its firmness.